Saturday, August 19, 2006

 

Sleeping Boot Camp - Week one Progress Report

Since Grandma Yang's visit with us when I was 2 weeks old, I have not had futher sleep training. When she was here, I did an off site workshop with her. For 2 nights I slept with her and gave Mammy the only 2 full nights of sleep that she has had since I was born. During those two nights I learned to sleep on my tummy to help me to burp and not be startled by my moving arms and legs. Mammy and Daddy were never very good at bundling me. I know that it is a big "NO NO" to sleep on my front side but I do it anyway in secret. There are other "NO NOs" about my sleep habits. The bumper pads, the stuffed toys and blankets. I have had good mobilitiy of my head from birth and so Mammy and Daddy felt that it was safe for me to sleep on my belly as they found that is how I slept best. Since week 2 of birth my sleep habits have seriously deteriorated without Grandma Yangs advice and if you have been reading my blog regularily you will know that I dont like to sleep. I am up at all hours, fussy and too energetic for my own good. Mammy and Daddy thought that that was just the way I was. Just different until that "baby party" where they met up with their friend who had babies who all slept through the night and had regular naps and did not require assisstance to fall asleep. Thats when Mammy and Daddy knew they had a serious problem on their hands.

After they got the book, they began the training. Boot camp really. The first night they put me down after the trip from Vancouver I cried for 2 hours straight. They tried to comfort me without picking me up but finally gave up and played with me till almost 1 am. Then I was nursed to sleep as always. The second night was better. I recall falling asleep on my own but after an hour and half of fussing and needing to be consoled in my crib. They broke down several times then too and picked me up. Nap time was also regularized. The woke me up progressively earlier and earlier until we hit 7 am. You see, I was also still time adjusting from vancouver time zone. I was able on the weekdays to progressively sleep more and more and nap times began to be more easy. By the end of the week, I no longer even wanted to be held as soon as I got sleepy for nap time. In the morning at 9, I would nap for 1-3 hours and then again at 1 pm. In between i got up to eat and play. But now they understood my sleepy signs. Auntie Anita, Mammy and Daddy all put me to sleep the same way. They put me in my crib. Pat me on the bum and give me my soother. Only this week have I started using that soother. 50% of the time I fight like crazy. I roll and crawl in my crib and butt my head into the corner. At first they tried to center me in the crib but now they have given up and let me ram my head into the corner. In the picture, they have caught me "between the sheep" Hee Hee. Actually the brown toy is a dog but the white one is a lamb. Usually my head is further into the corner.

Last night I fell asleep at 7pm to wake up at 8:30 for a meal. Shortly after I fell back asleep in the crib and didnt wake till 3am. Mammy fed me and left me in the crib awake. I guess I fell asleep sometime after as the next thing I remember is them waking me up at 7:30 this morning. That really is remarkable for me. It is true afterall-sleep begets sleep! It is hardly believable that I could have progressed so much in a week even with the time changes coming back from Vancouver. Perhapes I shall never have to give a week two progress report since I will hopefully be a compliant baby like all the other babies. You see!! Mammy, Daddy, I can be a good girl. You just have to give me a chance to show you how trainable I can be!

This week I have slept so much they actually miss me!

Comments:
Can you call me grandma or porpor squirrel instead of grandma yang? It feels more endearing.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?